Most of the time Outlook hangs on synchronize folders when send receive. Here is the solution to this problem.
It works on Outlook 2007, 2010 and 2013 configured with IMAP or POP.
Here are the steps:
1) Navigate to File -> Options
2) Advanced -> scroll down to the send/receive heading -> click on the send/receive button on the right.
3) On the right hand side of the send/receive groups window that opens click on the Edit button.
4) Un-check the “Get folder unread count for subscribed folders”.
5) under Received mail items, check the option “User the custom behavior defined below”.
6) In the window below that displays your Gmail folders just select inbox and leave the others unchecked.
7) click ok and then exit out of options.
8) Restart outlook and execute a send/receive to test if it is now working.
If you like this tutorial, please comment below and share with others.