I received a lot of questions regarding compatible antivirus tools for Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2 as there is no built-in installed antivirus tool with these flavors of server operating system. Windows defender is pre-installed with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. While trying to install Microsoft Security Essential in Windows Server 2012, it gives a compatibility error but it can be installed. Below is the step by step guide to how to install Microsoft Security Essential in Windows Server 2012.
- First of all download Microsoft Security Essential
- Once it’s downloaded, right click on the setup file (MSEInstall.exe). Click on Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility Tab. Check the Box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select the option ‘Windows 7’
- Run ‘Command Prompt’ as Administrator
- Disable OS limit for Security Essential by running this command ‘MSEInstall.exe /disableoslimit’