Here is the step by step guide to install SQL 2008 R2 with default instance and with additional named instance.
1. Go to folder in machine where you have SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup files and run setup.exe file.
2. By Default Planning option is selected on the screen. To create new SQL Server Instance you need to select Installation option and choose “New Installation or add feature to an existing installation.” from the right panel of the screen.
3. When you click on this option, one splash screen will appear and once this operation is completed, new screen will prompt to setup support rules.
If all mentioned rules are passed, click on “OK” button. In case of failure, You have to Re-run to validate again.
4. Now setup is ready to install setup support files on your machine. Click on “Install” button.
5. Once the process is completed, you’ll see the status of all rules. You don’t need to worry about warnings if any.
6. On next screen, select option “New Installation or add shared feature” to install new SQL instance.
7. Here, you need to provide you product key in given input area. By default, it takes from last installation.
8. In this screen, it has detailed License Terms. Please check “I accept accept the license terms” and press Next.
9. Now setup the role for the instance. Select “SQL Server Feature Installation” to select features as per your needs or select “All Features with Defaults” to install instance with all default features.
10. In this step you can select the available features.
11. Next setup is related to “Installation Rules”. Press “Next” after completion of this process.
12. This is the main step where you have to decided either you have to create new instance or create additional named instance. To create new default instance, Select “Default Instance” option.
13. To create additional named instance, select “Named Instance” option and enter instance name.
14. In the next step, it calculates the disk requirement for the installation.
15. In Server Configuration step, you can configure user account for SQL Server services. Please select them as per your requirement.
16. Next, you have to select the mode of SQL Server authentication. (i) Windows Authentication Mode (ii) Mixed Mode. If you select Mixed Mode, you have to type password for ‘sa’ user.
17. Next step is Installation Configuration Rules. Press “Show Details” to get more details of each rule.
18. Now you are ready to Install SQL Server 2008 R2. Click “Install”.
19. Now installation is in progress after setting up all the configurations, roles and settings.
20. And the installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 is complete now.